Tuesday, December 26, 2006

On Repeat...

When it comes to independent record labels, few can top the class, quality and forward thinking of Ubiquity. I find their releases in general intriguing and timeless; if I miss out on buying something when it comes out due to poor cash flow or something, I'm always sure that by the time I get round to picking it up, it'll remain a very worthy buy. It took me more than several months to pick up the fifth volume of their brilliant Rewind compilation and, as I expected, it's got some real gems on it. The concept behind the series is pretty simple, artists cover a track that inspired them, this time round the entire collection is all exclusive to the release and it has been a real struggle to decide which of the tracks to upload. Black Shakespeare's cover of Fleetwood Mac's 'Dreams' is a highlight, as is Nuspirit Helsinki's fantastic 'Underworldy' cover of Led Zep's 'No Quarter', even J Davey's take on Frank Zappa's 'Dirty Love' is great fun. Of course with cover versions it's always fun to see where the artist takes the track, but with the Henrik Shwarz's cover of french percussionist Guem's 'L'abeille', i have no real idea of what exactly he's done with it, since i dont know the original. All i do know, is it's a beautiful, minimal, dubby and very very deep piece of delicate electronica. Henrik, over the last two years has been a bit of a big deal on the underground, his hit 'Leave My Head Alone' appealed to many diverse dj's, the thing is he is pretty versatile, I even have a kind of twisted edit/remake of Kajagoogoo's 'Too Shy' by him, somewhere in my collection. Check out this track and certainly check Rewind 5, worth every penny.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/henrik-schwarz-labeille-mp3.html

No comments: