Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Black Is The Colour

Still doing a lot of crate digging in these parts, which is not to say I haven't heard or gotten some great new stuff, I'm just leaving that up to other very capable blogs for the moment. So while I'm pursuing great Jazz Funk classics, I thought it was essential to pop up this pretty awesome genre bending number by Wilbert Longmire. 'Black is the Color' is from his debut 'Sunny Side Up' album from 1978, which featured amongst others Bob James, Eric Gale, Eddie Daniels, Gwen Guthrie, Patti Austin, Harvey Mason and a host of other very talented musicians. The track is epic and welds Soul, Funk, Disco even Cosmic touches onto it's tight groove. Mason's drumming is awesome and Wilbert's guitar work is fantastic too. He was of course friends with George Benson, George introduced him to Bob James who would help him put this album out. Needs an extended edit me thinks...

http://www.zshare.net/audio/wilbert-longmire-black-is-the-colour-mp3.html