Monday, November 26, 2007

Day of Wrath

I've been neglecting you guys again, work and other commitments have been stealing time from you - ok so for the minute I'm gonna pop up a slice of deeply cosmic Disco with heavy heavy ecclesiastical tones to it by the always awesome Venus Gang, perhaps one of my all time top Disco bands, even though their output was small, it was certainly all good. 'Dies Irae' didn't strike me on the first few listens, perhaps its grandiose Armageddon imagery and sound put me off a little, other tracks off their 1978 album grabbed me instantly. Later on, with more listens, this particular track has really sunk in, its a little masterpiece for sure, and a disco take on a medieval Latin Hymn called 'Day of Wrath'... check it out and hunt down the lp...

Venus Gang - Dies Irae (Ecclesiastic Disco)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard another version of Dies Irae (maybe original?) made by Shanandoa. This track was on Kraut! Demons! Kraut! Vol.1 compilation, really fantastic! And I should say that Dies Irae conquered my heart! Really nice and cute!

chris keys said...

ill have to look around for other versions - thanks for the tip