Friday, August 11, 2006

A Little Sole Music


Ok still nothing new, but moving onto the early 2000’s at least and a mini-focus on Glasgow’s Sole Music. I have not kept up with their releases, so I have no idea if they’re still putting out the same brand of quality sounds but for awhile there they seemed to be leaders of the souljazzhousebrokenbeats pack, atleast in Scotland anyway. Bugz in the Attic put out a brilliant ep on Tronicsole, a sub-label of Sole Music from which I’ve posted my favourite called ‘Old Skool Jamz’, which is pretty early broken beats and is quiet a way from their big hit ‘Booty La La’ and their current sounds which can be heard on the album ‘Back in the Doghouse’ (some of which I totally love). Its pretty hard to beat their remix of 4 Hero’s ‘Hold it Down’ in my opinion, but this West London beats original has all the right elements to get me grooving. DJ Spinna’s ‘Ladbroke Groove’ totally reminds me of my time working at Music & Video Exchange in Camden and Nottinghill, it’s a little bit of disco, a whole lot of cosmic soul and a hot sweaty groove, just like summer in that city (ok when it doesn’t rain that much). I find it interesting that Spinna an American could capture that vibe with such ease (ofcourse u could also argue that the Ladbroke scene owes a big debt to much music from the U.S of A.). Last up is an artist I know almost nothing about except that he’s put out tracks under his own name and as Harlem Zip Code on Paper Recordings, Nitelife and ofcourse Sole Music. ‘Deep Soul’ is as the name suggests, deep and erm… soulful and comes off a little French maybe, with a slightly broken beat, if u can say that. Anyway I like the way the track builds u up with beats and fx before it drops u into its lushness with a very effective soft pulsing bassline and a very nice vocal bit which is sampled from who knows where.

link expired
link expired
link expired

No comments: