Sunday, October 28, 2007

Do It Again...

Asso's 'Don't Stop' is undoubtedly one of my favourite tracks of all time, no competition, it's the permanent ring tone on my phone, and I'd venture to say, it's one of the all time greatest Space Disco tracks ever. Ok so it's been up on Another Night before, so I thought I'd give you the flip side which is rather groovy and is a cover of another all time favourite of mine, Steely Dan. I grew up listening to the Dan, trying to sleep while my parents were throwing one of their pot fueled parties, on another school night. The Dan' s lyrics fascinated me, what was the 'cuervo gold', or a 'book of numbers with your remedies', why would one stalk 'the dread moray eel' & was Steely Dan really the name of a dildo owned by William Boroughs? (well I heard that later). Musically their lush Soul/MOR Beauty was the ultimate sound for me, I loved 'Goucho' but preferred 'Aja' any day. These days I have all the albums and Donald Fagan's too and they get permanent play at ANOE headquarters. So to have discovered this gem on the flip of probably one of the most expensive and delicious 12" I ever came across (around $350) was just an added bonus, no doubt! "Do It Again" comes from their first album "Can't Buy A Thrill", "You'll be on your knees tomorrow"...

Asso - Do It Again

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an absolute gem of a track. Many thanks.

chris keys said...

it is indeed - the other side is better

acidbearboy said...

Been loving this all week, thanks.

tommy boy said...

this is a fun Clubhouse track w/ a Billie Jean baseline and Steely Dan lyrics. thought it went well with this post

http://www.divshare.com/download/2403534-194

Anonymous said...

The 12" is going for hundreds of dollars???
I love this single for the b-sides ("Dallas" and I think the other cut is called "Sail The Waterway") which I hope they put out on CD soon 'cause the sound quality isn't the best. There are a couple of great SD demo bootlegs out there which are worth searching for, especially "Roaring Of The Lamb" and "Songs Of Becker and Fagen".

Anonymous said...

I have been decideing whether to part with the cash for the don't stop 12", i will be now. Steeley dan are big favourites of mine too, thanks for putting this up, "Don't Stop" get's the rounds and has had some re-issues but not with on the flip. Have to go with gaucho over aja i am afraid, "Glamour Professional" is easily on of my top ten tunes of all time.

peace