Saturday, April 26, 2008

when am i going to make a living...

I first heard the vocal from this track back in the early 90's on a Fred Jorio/ Lectroluv track, I had no idea of it's previous use in Hip Hop tunes, but it grabbed me instantly and stuck with me for years. After I realized House music was pinching all the best bits from older tunes, just like Hip Hop had been doing and looping them up for newer dance floors, I started hunting (it's a pretty standard story). I eventually discovered the original on one of those awesome Beats & Breaks comps, which I've been revisiting of late (yeah someone had done all the diggin' way back in the 80's). So the track is by 20th Century Steel Band, it's called 'Heaven & Hell', the part of the vocal that everyone seems to lift is the 'When am I going to make a living' bit (good question), but the whole track is a bit of a masterpiece in my mind...

20th Century Steel Band - Heaven & Hell

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

check for the 45 version, which has a complete different intro..killer bassline.

Bobby Calabrese (aka DJ BWYSE) said...

Hey Chris send me an e-mail so I can hit you up with the tracklisting. Hope Ur good!!

Marc Kets said...

Yeah I've got the one that Kon is talking about. It is just that little bit better, think I saw one out here in La La Land for cheap, if I find it again it's yours. Worked out the tracks that I want to use for my second Press Play, going to be really sloooooooooooooooow balearic and soul vibes.

chris keys said...

hey Kon, thanks for the info, ill definitely check out for that, Marc if you do see that, please that would be awesome... Cant wait to hear the new mix when it's ready, got some good ones going up shortly...

Yo Bwyse - check your mail

Kon, any chance of u getting in touch with me?

kon said...

christopher...my email addy is wax1200@gmail.com

Matt said...

Perfect Music. I hope you're doing well Chris.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Used as the intro to one of the many amazing Optimo mix cd's from a few years back. So happy to stumble across this. I never knew the title before.

-JohnB