Sunday, September 23, 2007

One of the greatest Faze Action moments

Back in 1997, VC Recordings & Dorado put out one of those double 12"s of a pretty mediocre D Note track called 'Waiting Hopefully' with a bunch of overwrought Deep Dish remixes on it, designed to make this lavish undertaking attractive to buyers. Personally I think the Deep Dish remixes suck and I didn't much like the Lil Louis one either. The thing is I had to pay the full double price for a single track, a little beauty on the B-side; the Faze Action Dub. When I heard it then, I thought, as I do now, this is like Minnie Ripperton House without Minnie actually singing on it, it's deep lush, orchestral, organic loveliness, very retro, with a good beats backbone. A couple of years later I heard Theo Parrish drop it in one of his mixes, which half validated my feelings on the track, he used it well too. It's interesting that you don't see too many of these expensive double packs these days, who needs them and if u do, they sell them to you as Part 1 & Part 2, my point is, beat hunters, in some of the wrongest places are some of the rightest tracks (excuse my inability to express that in better English). Don't be afraid to check all the mixes on these things, you just never know, unless of course a name like Faze Action, who have been back on our dance floors over the last year, with such great work too, is the signifier of potential gold within. This little gem transforms the D Note track ( a band who had a few really top items of their own, this was not one of them), into a classic of Note (ahem!!). Classy stuff this...

D Note - Waiting Hopefully (Faze Action Dub)

note: please excuse the crackles, this one got played a lot...

2 comments:

Peepshow/Ronin23 said...

this was a Funktion classic i played it all the time

chris keys said...

ofcourse u did Jack, i coulda guessed...