Tuesday, August 25, 2009

yellow sunshine

I have a whole bunch of great things for you this week, but lets start here...

I was well aware of the classic 'Yellow Sunshine' by Yellow Sunshine, I have it on that lovely Danny Krivit 'Grass Roots' comp from Strut. Recently serendipity dropped a relatively decent copy of their 1973 eponymous Lp on Gamble in my lap which I had not heard at all. Of course many of you will already know that Dexter Wansel featured on keyboards, and that this Philly based outfit dabbled in psychedelic Funk Rock. I'm guessing Wansel had quiet a bit to do with just how spacey their only LP sounded; the album is jammed with touches of his 'off planet' keyboard wizadry, which hint at things to come. After Yellow Sunshine failed to ignite major interest, Wansel left the band to work for Gamble & Huff and founding members Karl & Roland Chambers left to join MFSB. The title track is always going to be the one people get into, due in part to its latent Pop feel, but there are a number of rambling beauties on the album, check 'Happiness' for feel good jamming...

Yellow Sunshine - Happiness

2 comments:

Sir Algernon Truth said...

An appreciation for keyboard wizardry indeed. My friend in Japan suggested this and I'm glad..
Deep durty soul has not given me a reason to make the jump to funk,
but this stuff certainly does.
keep it connected

chris keys said...

nice message Sir! thumbs up!